Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Puppy Piddle

Well, today Sonata has tried to flood the house.  Four times she has piddled on the carpet, even though I have taken her out at least once every hour, if not twice.  I hope she is getting used to the sound of the carpet cleaner.  Even Sere dosen't react to it when I pull it out.  Well, in react, I mean run for the nearest piece of furniture that will get her off the ground.

I think I am going to have to review some of the housebreaking rules for puppies.  I keep telling her, 'Outside' when I take her out, and make sure that the bell rings.  When she squats I say,  "Go Potty!! Good Girl Sonata!  Go Potty," and then give her a good body rub when she is done and comes bounding to me.

I Didn't do it! (Well, Actually...Now That I Think About it...)
Bounding.  The dog has springs in her heels, and wants to see and taste everything all at once.  She gets so excited sometimes she leaps in the air and does a full circle, then upon landing looks around with a huge puppy grin, and takes off.  She is full of energy!

I make sure that after I have fed her that she is kept in the kennel for a full hour so that she can digest her meal.  Berners are susceptible to bloat, which means if the stomach is full and they do something energetic, the stomach can flip and twist on itself, which causes the blood supply to get cut off (among other nasty things), which in turn ends up being a medical emergency if you don't get the dog into the vet in  time.  Actually it will kill them if you don't get them into the vet in time.   Therefore, she is kept in the kennel for an hour, then taken out to go potty.  She usually eats then collapses anyhow, so it all works out.

2 comments:

  1. I know all about the puppy piddle! They must have inherited their Dad's bladder. If you think once every hour gets it...ha ha!! Anyway, Lexy is doing great. Very energetic and very curious. She has also learned to jump the gates of the puppy corral now, so it is pretty much useless. She too, is a howler. Although I think that is inherited also, since Bouncer tends to have his moments. I would like to clarify something for all the rest of the littermate owners that might join this blog. When you said "Dr B. said he would have thought the pups came from a good breeder". We did our absolute best to make sure these puppies were as healthy as possible. We were not the "breeder' per say at the moment. The parents came from a puppy mill. They have solid healthy backgrounds, but suffered malnutrition and neglect. We have worked hard to turn their life around and give them the chance they deserve. And the puppies are healthy, happy and beautiful. And I am looking forward to many years with Lexy. Can't wait to see the rest of the litter!
    Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do hope that we see more litter mate owners show up and post their comments and pictures as well! I would love to see what happens with this litter of pups!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the commenting!!