Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Did I Get a Puppy or a Mule?

I fear that Sonata has discovered that acting deaf will let her get to do what she wants that much longer, whether it is bouncing off the hostas, chasing the cats, or even running around the house out of my line of vision (because after all, we walk it every few hours, and now I KNOW this Mom), and that a sudden noise is just that, a curious, sudden, noise. Stubborn.  This girl is going to be stubborn once she learns to fully dig in her heels.

Sonata, 9 wks, Running up Steps
Serenade has her moments, where she has even learned to slip her lead and taken off running, or even just to literally dig in her heels, but this pup is telling me that she is not only uber smart, she is STUBBORN.  Example:  Earlier today as we were walking around the perimiter of the house (so she knows where home is), I got into the middle of the backyard and I sat down in the long grass, because Sona seems fascinated by it.  She usually leaps and jumps and spins, while trying to chew individual blades.  Instead, this time, when I sat down she took one look at me, huffed once, and turned and took off like the hounds of hell were nipping at her heels.  She reached the side of the house, stopped, looked at me, then ignoring my calls took off around the corner of the house.  I waited for oh, about thirty seconds to see if she would come zipping back.  Nothing.  Calling her name, I went jogging around the house looking for her.  There on the front porch sat a very pleased pup, waiting at the front door.  It was what we did every time I took for a walk around the house, we would end up going in the front.  Apparently she had decided it was to hot out to stay out and play.  The dog isn't an idiot, she knows that it is cooler inside.  However she has also learned that she can be independent of me, and ignore me when I call.  Stubborn.

I am still waiting for a call back on the puppy classes (they need four puppies to sign up before they will start a class), so that I can start getting her socialized once she hits ten weeks of age.  I want to make sure that she doesn't turn out to be a shy dog like Sere.  We took Sere out and about and socialized her, but once she got sick she didn't want anything to do with strangers. 

In the mean time our little hellion is sleeping beside me, on my left hand side.  Her first nap in the house OUTSIDE of her kennel.  Her paws are twitching as she chases after...well probably Grey.  She is a chaser, already showing avid interest in cars.  I managed to break Sere of that habit, looks like I will have to do the same with this one.

2 comments:

  1. She is beautiful. I am going through the same trials and tribulations with Bentley. Puppy years, aren't they wonderful!!!! I hope the other mom's or dad's who adopted Bentley and Sonata's siblings share how they progress through the years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear from another parent!! Welcome Christina! Make sure you share some of Bentley's trials >.< I don't want to sound like the only crazy one!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the commenting!!