Sunday, August 8, 2010

A Day of Rest

Arabica Breakfast
Yesterday I was so exhausted I ended up sleeping most of it away.  Thankfully Thomas was home, so he was able to watch the pup, and me (I think I may have picked up a slight bug), which included breakfast from Arabica.

Housebreaking is getting somewhat better, or perhaps it is the fact that we are starting to recognize the signs when she has to go out.  Well, I am, kind of.  There are still times when she will look me right in the eye and pee on the carpet in front of me.  That kind of brings me hope, due to I think she is starting to realize that she has to go potty (it also erks me, simply because I have to wonder if she is making a statement of some type).  Of course, when I took the bell out this morning (to show it to her) she jumped at the same time I rang it, and managed to smack her nose on it.  She is now scared of the bell.  Yet another thing we are going to have to work on.

We are going to have to watch her more closely today, not sure if she is limping on the back leg or not.  You can't tell with Berners, I think I spent half of Sere's puppyhood trying to figure out if she had a limp or not. I took her into the vet so many times and they just smiled at me like I was crazy and told me the dog was okay.  

Good news to report! Today Sonata walked down her first step!  For the past week the steps off the front porch have been the enemy, and she has faced them with great uncertainty.  Today she took the first step at going down, and is quickly becoming a pro.

Also some news to wonder at, Serenade apparently has decided that Sonata is hers.  Earlier when we were outside, I had Sere on her lead, and Sonata of course was trying to chew on it.  Two neighbor ladies came walking by, and wanted to be introduced to the newest baby in the neighborhood.  Sere went barking mad, so to speak.  She stood on her toes and barked the snarling bark that she does when she is seriously disturbed that anyone is around that she does not know.  When Sonata tried to go up to the ladies (after a few minutes of hiding next to the step, with her tail between her legs), Sere jumped in front of her, then stood over her and kept barking.  Good news and bad news there.  Sere has made up her mind to keep her apparently.  Now I just have to convince her that the world is not out to get her puppy!

Sonata in her Dog Bed, 9 wks
Finally onto some amusing news.  We have discovered that Sona likes soft things to lie on.  I know to most of you this may not seem a big deal, but for us it is something to laugh at.  For years we have bought Sere dog beds, trying to convince her that she would like to lie on something soft.  Sere has refused.  A part of me shudders at the amount of money we have spent on beds for her, all were rejected.  Eventually they were either thrown out due to the cats literally messing on them beyond usage, Ivan claimed one for his own, or they went to other folks (one went with my parents dog, when they visited here).  Suddenly we have a dog who likes soft things!  Just to see if it was true we bought a small dog bed.  We figure that the cats can use it once she out grows it (which will be in about a week), if she used it.  Surprisingly she used it.  She not only uses it, she comes running in from outside and leaps into it!

The difference in attitude between her and Sere is so surprising to see.  Guess we will see how her personality changes once she hits puberty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the commenting!!